Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney feels his side need two 'big name' signings this summer in order to compete at the highest level next season.

Rooney and United will take on Stoke City on Sunday in a bid to topple Chelsea at the top of the Premier League, but the England international is already looking ahead to the next campaign.

“If we can bring in two big name players it would give us a good chance of getting the league back if Chelsea do win it," he told The People.

"If you look at the team in 1999 that won the Treble we had four forwards, all capable of scoring goals.

“Now there is me, [Dimitar] Berbatov and Michael Owen. There is Federico Macheda too, but if we can get one more top forward in it would give us the right balance.”

However, Rooney, who has scored 26 league goals this term, has not given up all hope of United lifting a fourth consecutive league title.

He fully expects Wigan Ahtletic to give rivals Chelsea a tough time at Stamford Bridge, which in turn would allow Sir Alex Ferguson's men the opportunity to capture their 19th League title.

“I am sure the Wigan [Athletic] players will be trying their best," he added.

"They will have eight weeks’ holiday after Sunday’s game so I am sure they will want to end the season with a win. It is a good stage for them.

“They have a good young manager who has done well in keeping them up in his first season in charge and I am sure they won’t roll over.”

Rooney also revealed how he has relished the chance to lead United's frontline after the departures of Cristiano Ronaldo andCarlos Tevez.

The striker has thrived under the added responsibility and hopes to better his 34-goal tally next season.

“The manager [Sir Alex Ferguson] told me he would be playing me more up front and I knew that with [Cristiano] Ronaldo and [Carlos] Tevez leaving I would have to score more goals," he added.

"To score so many this time was fantastic - but it’s still not my best season. I once scored 76 in a season when I was 11.

"But it’s my best as a professional and I know the expectation will be there for me to do it again next season.”

In the mean time Rooney will be aiming to finish the season in style, with the faint hope of a Premier League title celebration to follow the full-time whistle at Old Trafford