Wayne Rooney

Manchester United Wayne Rooney has praised the quality of winger Antonio Valencia. Photograph: Andrew Yates/AFP/Getty Images

Wayne Rooney has named Antonio Valencia as the key to his success this season, saying the winger's quality has been vital in helping him reach 26 Premier League goals.

Rooney, this week voted Manchester United's player of the year, said Valencia was the team-mate he enjoyed playing alongside most.

"I couldn't have scored the amount of goals I have this season without him," Rooney told the BBC's Match of Day magazine. "He's been great this year and the quality of balls he puts in the box for me has been unbelievable."

Rooney added that the goals he enjoyed scoring most this season were those with his head. "It's something I've been working on a lot, so I'm really happy about that. It just goes to show that the more you practise something, the better you get at it."